I got my first letter in probably 3 weeks yesterday, from mom. It was actually a card that intriguingly stated, “If we were hamsters…” and went on from there to suggest we would “snack, we’d nap, we’d think about working out, we’d snack again, nap some more…” and then on the inside perkily concluded, “Hey…wait a minute…” I’m not sure if she’s trying to tell me something or not, but I was thrilled to get the mail in any case. This year has been depressingly mail-light, with the majority of things in my box pertaining to Domino’s Pizza or the Chinese place down the street. I wish I had more friends who sent me letters. Or, for that matter, cared to contact me at all.

Yesterday was, as we all know, Halloween. I expected Clark to have an enormous brouhaha with students dressed up all over the place and ghosts, bats, and pumpkins liberally strewn about. Now, however, I remember how I missed Halloween last year: Clark did nothing, for which I was profoundly glad. Math and Geology dragged by; Lesley and I hung out in between. When I got home Ian and I had a much-needed talk about finances and other boring but vital married-person stuff. Also I started getting my WPI account set up, so now I have an email at WPI (katief@wpi.edu; but don’t bother sending anything there because I won’t touch it, ever) and hopefully within 24 hours will have a myWPI account to check on my Architecture class notes, etc.

On the brigher side, he also suggested we go to Applebee’s for dinner. We haven’t eaten out much (costs a fair amount), but it seemed like a good idea, so we took the 30 minute walk to the Worcester Common Outlets (If you can’t tell from the site it’s an ageing “nice mall wanna-be” which I try to avoid for the most part. Yesterday many costumed children wandered around with their parents, asking for candy at the shops. This made me realize how odd it would be to grow up in a city, where you can hardly go “house to house” as we did as kids. Weird.

Anyway Ian and I both ordered greasy American food – grilled club and hamburger, respectively; we shared each part. Oh it was so good! We hadn’t had anything like that for quite some time, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely – until about halfway home, when we realized there’s a reason we don’t eat that type of food very often. It makes you sick. So we didn’t feel very good the rest of the night, and actually I went to bed at 10:15 because I simply couldn’t stay awake. No surprise I woke up at 9:00 feeling disgustingly perky – 11 hours of sleep will do that to a body. Now it’s 65 out and sunny, so I think I’ll stay inside and beat my Geology into submission.

– KF –

2 thoughts on “Thanks, Mom

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.