Day’s Verse:
One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

Psalm 27:4-5
Please help me raise money for the MS Bike Tour Cape Cod Getaway. Donate today on my MS Participant page.

I don’t think this was my very worst week ever, but I’d be hard pressed to think of a worse one off the top of my head.

Monday set the tone; we got up in the dark, at what felt like 4:30 am, to find rain/snow/sleet falling. It quickly changed to snowflakes the size of half-dollars and fell with definitive plopping noises. Ian dropped me off at work to give my legs a break after riding both Saturday and Sunday last weekend. I’ve started training for the STP again, so that will become a more regular occurrence.

On the way home, Mom tried to call Ian’s cell phone. This raised some serious flags for us, since people generally don’t call Ian’s cell phone (as a matter of fact, people generally don’t call us). When we got home, the phone was ringing. Mom was calling to tell us that Grandpa Sullivan was in hospice care and not expected to last more than three days. I stayed at work for an extra hour and a half waiting for Ian to pick me up.

Tuesday Life Group was canceled. We didn’t hear anything about Grandpa, but I kept expecting a phone call at work. Confusion and frustration reign at work, especially after our weekly report writer meeting. I worked another slavish 9-hour day.

Wednesday Mom called at 11:30 to tell me that Grandpa had passed away. I embarrassed myself by crying at work and received more hugs than I’ve gotten in a long time. My bosses encouraged me to take time off if I needed it. Worked an 11-hour day because the reports “CANNOT be late” and the project scientist was going on vacation the next day. Horrified to find that it was not, in fact, Friday, despite feeling extremely Friday-like. Did receive the replacement board for my Xtracycle, and carried it home strapped precariously to my messenger bag. Was told I didn’t seem my usual perky self. Since when does perky ever describe me? (Or does it? Do I know myself that badly?)

Thursday felt like a zombie. Worked a 9.5-hour day and realized that getting everything done that I needed to do would require a Herculean effort—difficult when all you want to do is sit and stare at a blank wall. Felt like I was dragging myself through molasses the whole day. Attended a Project Scientist meeting with a splinter group, which did help me feel more optimistic about the future of their reports (99% of which I write currently). Received a $100 gadget to keep my Xtracycle chain from sagging. Most expensive small part I’ve purchased to date—handmade in Portland and shipped Priority mail (on my dime).

Friday rode Xtracycle to work despite horrendously rusty chain (thanks to two snowstorms and several damp/rainy days) and got expensive part installed (free! Thanks, Landry’s! Yay for no chain sag). Worked an 8.5-hour day. Ended up with stupid amounts of overtime despite wanting to leave early every day. Did achieve the Herculean tasks for the week; however, boss makes comment about “it’ll be like this from now on” that makes my heart sink. Overtime as the normal course of things isn’t my idea of fun—I don’t work at Microsoft, after all. Watched X-Men and went to bed early. Slept for ten hours straight and dreamed about telling a coworker just what I thought of him, and then quitting after submitting a scathing letter to deserving recipients. Woke up to find it was, at last, Saturday.

Rode 40 miles around (but not in) Framingham. Route 16 is very picturesque and not too traffic-heavy. The Wellesley/Weston back neighborhoods are crammed full of jaw-dropping mansions surrounded by beautifully landscaped properties—like riding through an opulent park. No pictures because no small camera (and, by the way, no word from the flaky camera shop guy of last weekend). Route 20 was teh suck, as expected, with steady headwinds, heavy traffic, no shoulder, and horrific potholes and road debris the whole 10 miles. Randomly saw Tom Henry, an owner of Landry’s who led my Tour de Landry’s group, about five miles from home. Restrained myself from picking up the five tennis balls I passed along the way.

Tonight we are attending a comedy show courtesy of the Marlborough Police Department, to whom we donated $30 last October. I’m dubious—I find the vast majority of comedy shows boring, stupid, and excessively full of profanity—but we’ll see. Dinner at the Lucky Dog beforehand makes it worth while. Already dreaming of French fries.

It’s not that this week was all down; it just felt like each day trended towards worse than the next. I can only hope next week will have more ups and fewer downs.

KF quality

2 thoughts on “The Week of March 9

  1. May you begin to perk back up a bit more each day. I trust that the photos Joe is sending to you from finds in Grandpa’s apartment will put a smile on your face.
    Love you!

  2. My thoughts are with you, Katie. I hope you’re doing better with each coming day.

    Let’s try again to get together soon. Though it might not be snowshoeing, I’m sure we’ll find something fun to do.

    My known commitments are the weekend of April 4-5, and Easter so far. Might be doing something with Todd’s family next weekend but it’s not certain yet.

    Hopefully today’s warmer weather can lift your spirits a bit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.