Day’s Verse:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39

Little did Ian and I know, but we had to sign the papers on the house — of which there are many — before the closing date. We learned this on Thursday afternoon and spent some time that evening marveling at the fact that we’ve received innumerable instructions regarding the house, none of which made it clear that signing took place beforehand.

Friday, which as Bike to Work Day I got to work at just about 6:10 am and left at 2:45 pm. This allowed me to arrive in time to eat some food, take a shower, and then get really nervous about the signing, which started for us at 5:30 pm. During the day, Ian arranged to have our money wired to the escrow company. We drove over to the escrow place after depositing a check* and waited in the lobby for a bit. Turns out Stanley Erickson and his wife, the owners of the home, was leaving as we waited in the lobby — I wish I’d paid attention to what they looked like! I was reading an engrossing Seattle Times article on the Mariners’ first win in 2 weeks.

Once the current owners finished signing, the escrow lady brought us into a room with extremely uncomfortable, modern-looking orange chairs, sat us down, and pulled out this enormous sheaf of extra-long paper, all of it densely printed with endless legal jargon. Since this is our first home purchase, she explained the pertinent parts in detail. We signed…and signed…and signed; and then for some variety, we initialed the bottom of a bunch of pages. Then we signed some more.

Linnea, our agent, had warned us when we put the offer down that this involved a million signatures, but although it took like 45 minutes to sign everything, the time seemed to compress into a single momentous instant. It didn’t feel like it took very long at all before we’d signed all the paperwork and the lady was handing us a long, narrow folder filled with copies, shaking our hands, and ushering us out the door.

I think we both felt a little bit giddy — both excited and nervous as the reality that We Will Own a Home Next Tuesday sinks in. I’m pretty sure Mom and Dad, who have so generously opened their home to us for the last 6 or 8 months, will be more than happy to help us pack up. Next Saturday is moving day.

For some reason, when I woke up at 4:45 this morning, I simply could not get back to sleep. Why might that be…?

* I mention this check because it’s the final settlement check for my March bicycle crash. Although I received the bike repaired three weeks ago, I had to then get reimbursed from the bike shop for a $100 part they didn’t replace but charged me for; and I had to get reimbursed for the $985 rental bike cost** from the insurance company. On Tuesday I got the bike shop reimbursement and on Thursday we got the insurance money. Also on Tuesday I saw my doctor and she said that I probably wouldn’t experience any physical effects since nothing has surfaced by now. What a huge relief to — I’ll say this quietly — be done with bike crash money issues. Whew.

** I don’t remember if I mentioned this here or not, but the bike shop I rented the bike from agreed to let me have the rental bike outright. They felt they’d made enough money on it — more than double the asking $450 original price — and happily agreed it was mine when I paid off the rental. I feel satisfied with the overall insurance/bike crash resolution: My original Seven is repaired and running beautifully and I got a “new” (used) bike for free.

One thought on “Signage

  1. Glad that the bike-money issues worked out; I’m sure that was a barrel of fun (/sarc).

    Next time Jordan and I are up there, we will get to see your new house!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.