We look at this Son and see the God who cannot be seen. We look at this Son and see God’s original purpose in everything created. For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible, rank after rank after rank of angels—everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him. He was there before any of it came into existence and holds it all together right up to this moment.
- I regularly spend time with men whose legs are better-shaved than mine.
- “Hammer” refers to “push really hard,” rather than a piece of hardware.
- I think I look stylish in outfits like this:
(That’s my friend Laurie; we’re fresh and perky before the ride on Saturday.)
- Anything above 23 mph is fast. Anything above 30 mph is very fast.
- I pay a lot of money every month for “food” and powdered electrolyte drink mix that tastes, at best, tolerable. Usually it’s awful, but I eat it anyway.
- Anything under 50 miles is short. Anything between 50 and 100 miles is normal. Anything over 100 miles is long.
- It’s always a good idea to check the weather, especially the radar, obsessively, and then try to out-guess the meteorologists.
- On the weekend, I spend more waking hours with my bike than my husband.
- When I’m driving, I have to resist the urge to use hand signals and, when I see a broken bottle on the side of the road, call out “Glass! Glass!”
- There are some places I only know how to get to by bike.
- It’s not unusual for me to be one of three or fewer women in a group of 20+ people.
- I recognize people by their bicycles.
- I don’t recognize bicyclists I’ve ridden for hundreds of miles with if they’re in non-biking (regular) clothes, or not wearing helmets.
- I’m proud to keep up with people 20 to 30 years my senior, and in a group I’m usually the youngest by at least 10 or 15 years.
- I can have long, animated conversations about ceramic bearings, stem angle, cassette range, wheelsets, and the like. (With genuine interest: “What size cog is that?” Proud response: “It’s a 34. And my small chainring is a 34, too, so I can climb anything…”)
- A $100 pair of shorts or jersey is pretty reasonable.
- The bigger the hill, the better.
- I do a hard ride one day, come home exhausted, and say, “That was great!” Then the next day, I’ll go do another one.