Day’s Verse:
It’s best to stay in touch with both sides of an issue. A person who fears God deals responsibly with all of reality, not just a piece of it.
Ecclesiastes 7:18

Whew, it’s been a heck of a few days! Benji has been all over the board with sleeping — not literally, he still doesn’t move on his own, but figuratively — and on top of that we actually did stuff this weekend:

Really long, difficult night Friday night/Saturday morning. We both ended up sleeping until later than usual, and still moved through most of the day as zombies. This later-than-usual sleeping meant that when we woke up, we actually had to get rolling, because we had a play to get to at 2:00 pm. We packaged Benji, who finally fell asleep a mere hour earlier, into his carseat, gathered up the requisite huge pile of stuff necessary for traveling with babies, and somehow got out the door mostly on time. Traffic was horrendous, but we made it to my friend Ellen’s house close to on time. She and her family looked after Benji for us for the afternoon while Ian and I went to our play. We saw Gaudy Night, at Taproot Theater, and really enjoyed it despite having nearly the worst seats in the house.

Incredibly, that took the entire day. We were exhausted by the time we got him back down at 10 pm.

Saturday night/Sunday morning involved an unnecessary amount of wakefulness, due to the fact that Benji slept for 6.5 hours earlier in the day. It’s great that he can sleep that long. now we need to work on moving his sleep time back towards night, rather than midafternoon and early evening. Anyway, Sunday was a slow start day, too, but the weather was gorgeous so Ian and I arranged for Mom and Dad to come watch Benji while I went out for a bike ride and Ian did some errands and had time to himself. I got in a really lovely unexpectedly sunny 52-mile loop, out to Snoqualmie Valley. When I got home, Ian was reading a book and Mom and Dad remained on baby duty, which they kept up for several more hours. It was a wonderful gift.

They left, we had a crazy very brief hailstorm, and shortly thereafter I drove down to Renton for my Team Group Health annual meeting. It was lovely getting to see and socialize fun bike ladies I haven’t seen in months. I’m already glad I rejoined, and I’m really looking forward to the team rides, which start next Saturday. Racing, well, I’m less excited but I’ll burn that bridge when I get there.

In other Benji news, he’s started knocking down towers of blocks; I’m not sure if that’s intentional, or incidental to awkwardly bumping the blocks with his hands to explore them. But either way, it’s fun. He’s also started sucking on his thumb/fingers a bit, and continues to do more vocalization. Speaking of vocalization, I think I hear his dulcet tones now…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.